This model railway shows a representation of Kington Station in about 1946 or 1947. It follows the overall plan of the station at that time, with a few features omitted or modified to keep the layout to a reasonable size. The trains are in Great Western Railway livery as nationalisation of the railways is still a few months away.
The line from the terminus at New Radnor enters on the left under the road bridge. It crosses the brook and passes the original 1857 station building. It splits to service the ‘up’ and ‘down’ passenger platforms. In the foreground are the goods sidings and goods shed.
Trains to Titley Junction and beyond proceeded over one of the two low bridges to a ‘scissors’ crossing just beyond the right edge of the layout. There they would take the left hand track, the other track being a ‘headshunt’ used to allow shunting to take place without using the main line.
The passenger train consists of a 0-4-2 tank locomotive hauling a ‘Suburban B Set’ of two coaches. The goods train has two livestock wagons and a 20 ton brake van hauled by a 0-6-0 pannier tank loco.
The old station building, the goods shed and the road bridge over the brook still exist and can be seen if you visit Hatton Gardens Industrial Estate in Kington.
The model is in OO/HO scale which is equivalent to 1/76 or 4mm to the foot.